Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Whole Enchilada

The highlight of my stay in Moab and perhaps this whole experiment has got to be shuttling The Whole Enchilada.  It is one of the biggest descents in the whole country.  From the parking lot, you climb up to Burro Pass, just over 11,000 feet in elevation.  From there it's about 26 miles and 2,000 feet to the bottom.









I caught shuttle in this monster on a chilly Halloween morning.  While I was shivering in the parking lot, I struck up a conversation with our driver and found out that he was an HSU percussion grad.  It turns out we have a lot of mutual friends back in Humboldt.  I wish I could remember his name.








I ended up staying with most of these guys throughout the day.  Most of them were in from Colorado for the weekend to celebrate a birthday.









The view from the top!  There are many shuttle services in Moab that have similar schedules.  It seems like all the riders from all the shuttles stop at the top of Burro Pass to catch some much needed breath and to reset their gear before the long and very steep descent ahead.








A break to take in our first view, looking out over Moab.  The day had just begun and both my bike and I were already feeling the toll of the descent.  About half way down this first section I already had a spoke that was completely slack.  Luckily one of the Colorado guys had a spoke wrench.







Not a bad place to stop for a bite to eat eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment